Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Hearing a True Story

This really happened. A while back, my wife got tired of me asking, “What?” to half the things that she said to me. She insisted that I go get my hearing checked. Being a dutiful husband, and curious myself, I made an appointment with the Ear Doctor. I underwent the tests he had me take and waited for the results.

The Dr. called me in to his office and told me that I had some high-end hearing loss. He further explained that what this meant was that I needed more treble in my music to enjoy it, which was true. It also meant that I had more trouble hearing women’s voices than men’s. After I finished laughing I explained to the man why I was there in the first place.

He said that I should ask my wife to always be looking at me when she talked. She shouldn’t talk with her back to me, from a distance, or if one of us was walking away. I was very grateful when he offered to write me a note explaining this to my wife, though I didn’t take him up on it.

I did ask him what had caused the deterioration of my hearing. Was it the many very loud concerts that I attended when I was younger? Was it the weapons I had used when I was in the Army back in the Seventies? Or was it simply a function of getting a bit older?

Yes to all three was his answer. When I asked if I should turn down the music in my car he thought that would be a good idea. I don’t know about that one. Music without volume is like salad without dressing.

So, I went home and told my wife and daughter what the Doctor had told me and you’d have thought that I had just said that Martians had landed in our front lawn. I should have gotten the note. Just another tale in getting older.

What?

No comments: